“Wait what… I have 4 phases that I go through each month? Why haven’t I known about this earlier in my life?” I remember saying after I learned how to leverage my monthly cycle with my business. My mind was blown.
Not sure if this was true for you, but growing up and having my period was kind of a drag. One of those unfortunate things that happens to women on a monthly basis. I remember this being an annoyance and disrupting my life. Cramps, ouch.
I recall knowing about two monthly phases: ovulation & menstruation. When you are fertile and when you know you are not pregnant. More recently, I learned that there is a whole lotta other goodness going on in a woman’s body throughout the month. I learned this information from Nicole Jardim (Certified Women’s Health & Functional Nutrition Coach), she is a wealth of knowledge on periods, fertility and hormonal health. I learned how to embrace being a female AND actually using my cycle as leverage in my business and my life. Now, I think of being a female as wonderful because I get to receive these beautiful gifts each month.
Think of the 4 phases like the 4 seasons, reflective in how you feel:
- Winter: Menstrual Phase (3-7 days)
- Spring: Follicular Phase (7-10 days)
- Summer: Ovulatory Phase (2-3 days)
- Fall: Luteal Phase (12-16 days)
How to sync your cycle with your business/career?
Menstrual Phase: This is the most obvious phase and likely sounds familiar. Your body prepares for pregnancy each month and if you are not pregnant, then the womb lining is shed and bleeding occurs.
- Hormones: Progesterone drops, estrogen and testosterone levels are low
- Energy: low
- Feel: tired, insightful, intuitive
- Business: take breaks if possible, vision and goal setting, trust intuition (heightened), no big social events as you feel more introverted
Follicular Phase: This phase is when your follicles (hence the name of the phase) begin to mature in preparation for ovulation. You will notice a shift in your energy and willingness to try new activities.
- Hormones: testosterone and estrogen levels increase throughout this phase and Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) is released
- Energy: high
- Feel: experimental, outgoing, energetic, social, impulsive, creative, restless
- Business: innovative, increased problems solving, business strategy, host workshops, social events
Ovulatory Phase: This phase is the release of an egg from a mature follicle for potential fertilization. From a primitive standpoint, think about mating. This phase is when you look and feel the best (prime for mating).
- Hormones: testosterone and estrogen levels peak; luteinizing hormone (LH) increases results in the mature follicle bursting to release an egg for potential fertilization
- Energy: highest in the cycle
- Feel: confident, magnetic passionate, outgoing, energetic, social, creative, sexy
- Business: brain sharpness- strategy meetings, interviews, host workshops, social events, ask for a raise
Luteal Phase: This phase is when the lining of the uterus thickens to prepare for potential pregnancy. You’ll see a decrease in energy throughout the cycle.
- Hormones: testosterone and estrogen levels decrease through the cycle; FSH & LH decline quickly, progesterone will begin to rise
- Energy: decreases throughout this phase
- Feel: 1st part you’ll still feel confident and energetic and then the second half you’ll feel more irritable, sensitive, tired and introverted
- Business: organize-organize-organize!!
Now, this is a real basic overview of the 4 cycles and how to sync your cycle with your business. I’m on a mission to help women run a female-aligned business that is sustainable, this made a HUGE difference in my life and in my business for being more organized and effective. For more wonderful information on this topic, do visit Nicole Jardim — she is amazing and knows all the ins-and-outs on this topic.
You are amazing and so cyclical! I hope you can begin to track your cycle and align your strengths with your business this month. There are certain foods to eat, low & high sex drives, and exercises that complement each phase, as well.
If you are more interested in aligning your career/business with a feminine business model, please schedule a complimentary coaching call and we can begin to explore more!! Embracing your feminine, owning it and leveraging it can help you to up-level your business and your life. I’m here walking my journey right next to you.
Happy Cycle Ladies!!
If you like what you have read, join my private Facebook group: Untamed Women in Business